27th Annual Hannes Schneider Meister Cup Event
March 8-10, 2024 @ Cranmore Mountain Resort
NEW THIS YEAR!!!
* Expanded race, cap at 250!
* Commemorative race bib to first 200 registered
* Across the decades fashion show! Get out the neon!!!
* Ski history trivia Saturday evening!
* Sunday brunch!
* First showing of vintage Cranmore ski film! Straight out of the ski museum archive see the Schneiders and early Cranmore crew in all their glory. You’ll be the first!
All racers and patrons are entitled to all event activities including food, beverages, fashion show entry, ski history trivia entry, and Sunday morning brunch and film showing.
Racer Registration: $100/racer or $500/team (five persons) until March 4 and then bumped to $125/person. This year race is expanded to 250 with first 200 receiving commemorative cloth bib courtesy of World Cup Supply. Register early!
Paper Registration is available. You may fill out and mail, email, or drop off in-person at any museum location. You may also register in-person at any museum location.
Patron Registration: The Meister Cup is more than a ski race and more than a fundraiser for the ski museum. It is a community event celebrating the rich heritage of skiing and winter in New England and the Mt. Washington Valley. Become a patron just as you would a playhouse, opera, or other sports team (season’s tickets are just that!) and help us support the continued celebration of that history and expand the participation of younger skiers! All donation levels are welcome!
Schedule for 2024:
- 4:00-7:00 Registration open in main lodge.
- 6:00 Reception begins in Zip’s with drinks and Bavarian Brother’s music.
- 6:30 Buffet dinner served in Zip’s.
- 7:15 Welcome ceremony and event details.
- 7:45 Torchlight Parade
- 9:00 pm Reception concludes
- 7:30 Registration and continental breakfast open in Mt Washington Room of Main Base Lodge.
- 9:00 Start of Opening Ceremony.
- 10:00 Start of first run
- 10:00 Silent auction and museum shop opens in Mt Washington Room
- 11:30 Barbecue lunch served via ticket on big patio (weather permitting)
- 12:45 Second run
- 3:00 Awards
- 3:30 Après Fashion Show and brats
- 5:00 Ski trivia in Koessler’s bar
- 6:30 Day concludes
- 9:00 am Brunch in Mt. Washington Room
- 9:30-11:00 Vintage film premier on Hannes Schneider and early Cranmore.
March 10-12, 2023, we celebrate the 26th Hannes Schneider Meister Cup Race, honoring the life of the renowned Austrian skimeister whose pioneering ski teaching brought excitement and prosperity to North Conway and St. Anton, Austria and the world of skiing at large.
Hannes Schneider was a mountain soldier on the alpine front in World War I, and his son Herbert and several of his instructors served in the 10th Mountain division in World War II. The race pays tribute to several generations of America’s mountain troops, and features the color guard and mountain instructors of the Army Mountain Warfare School of Jericho, Vermont.
The Meister Cup is more than a race—it is a spectator event with an Opening Ceremony with Color Guard, vintage ski fashion show, awards ceremony, the music of the Bavarian Brothers Band and a Sunday morning screening of an award-winning ski history documentary film. Race it or watch it, the Meister Cup has something for everyone.
If you can turn around a few gates on intermediate terrain on alpine or telemark skis or a snowboard, you are invited to participate in the race…and win! The fastest male and female finishers in ten age classes take home unique awards, as do the fastest telemark, snowboard, and junior racers. Teams of five racers compete for the Meister Cup Trophy, with winners’ names engraved on the award which is on display in the New England Ski Museum.
Competition is intense at the highest level, but for most racers the event is a simple fun run down a gentle racecourse on a day of slopeside pageantry and social events. Past racers have ranged in age from 4 to 95.
The Carroll Reed Cup, awarded to the fastest team made up of racers from the ski resort industry, honors the ski business pioneer whose early Eastern Slope Ski School provided the basis for Hannes Schneider’s arrival in 1939.
Apart from the ski race, the Hannes Schneider Meister Cup features a full slate of weekend social activities including a welcome reception and buffet, the opening ceremony, a silent auction, the popular vintage skiwear show, the awards ceremony, and a ski history presentation. Whether you race it or watch it, the Meister Cup has something for everyone.
There are many ways to be involved! As a racer, spectator, patron, or sponsor. Please see below for more information about these!
Past Meister Cup results!
The 25th Annual Hannes Schneider Meister Cup, March 5, 2022
The 24th Annual Meister Cup, Saturday, March 14, 2020 At Cranmore Mountain Resort, North Conway, NH
23rd Annual Hannes Schneider Meister Cup, March 2, 2019