Each year the Museum researches and creates a new annual exhibit focusing on some aspect of ski history. Exhibits from previous years can be seen at the Museum’s satellite locations, which are presently located at Bretton Woods Mountain Resort and the Intervale Scenic Vista on Route 16 several miles north of North Conway.
Current Annual Exhibit in New England Ski Museum:
The Mountains of Maine: Skiing in the Pine Tree State
In the annals of New England skiing, the state of Maine was both a leader and a laggard. The first historical reference to the use of skis in the region dates back to 1871 in New Sweden, where a colony of Swedish immigrants had been induced to settle in the untamed reaches of northern Aroostook County. The first booklet to offer instruction in skiing to appear in the United States was printed in 1905 by the Theo A. Johnsen Company of Portland. Despite these early glimmers of skiing awareness, when the sport began its ascendancy to popularity in the 1930s, the state’s likeliest venues were more distant, and public land ownership less widespread than was the case in the neighboring states of New Hampshire and Vermont, and ski area development in those states was consequently greater.
Only in the 1950s did the construction of alpine ski sites become commonplace in Maine, many of them conceived as economic development initiatives. From 1950 until the mid-1970s ski areas sprouted all over the state, until ski area creation slowed nationwide. Maine’s relatively late start allowed its ski area builders to benefit from the expertise of ski resort planners like Sel Hannah and the Sno-engineering firm, and permitted its state government to enact environmental legislation before overdevelopment marked the landscape as it had elsewhere. Numbered among Maine’s distinctive impacts on skiing are far-ranging Nordic marathons; inventions and improvements in snow grooming tractors and implements; a unique university program that trained students for varied careers in the ski business; and the organizational and financial know-how one ski area owner employed to create an assemblage of ski areas on a national scale.
The Maine ski exhibit consists of some 60 photographs and artwork with text and captions drawn from the collections of New England Ski Museum, with the considerable assistance provided by members and directors of the Ski Museum of Maine. The Maine exhibit will be on display at New England Ski Museum until early April 2016.
Current Exhibit at Bretton Woods Ski Area Base Lodge:
Green Mountain, White Gold: Origins of Vermont Skiing.
Bretton Woods Mountain Resort has been host to a Ski Museum exhibit in recent years. Located in the ground floor of the Bretton Woods base lodge, the exhibit usually consists of about fifty photographs and text drawn from the annual exhibits seen at the Ski Museum. A single chair from the 1940 Mount Mansfield chair lift, once the world’s longest, is also on display here.
The emergence in Vermont of skiing as a popular pastime and engine of winter economic growth is the topic of an exhibition of the New England Ski Museum titled Green Mountain, White Gold: Origins of Vermont Skiing.
The Woodstock Inn first opened in the winter in 1892, as hotelkeeper Arthur Wilder sought to attract a fraction of the tourists that flocked to the state via rail for long visits in the summer. Snowshoeing, ice skating, and some limited touring on skis were the popular winter pastimes in Woodstock for the next four decades. In 1934, another pair of Woodstock innkeepers, Robert and Elizabeth Royce, facilitated the first rope tow in the country, freeing skiers from the need to climb.
Despite its primacy in time, Woodstock was soon overshadowed by the city of Brattleboro, the home of Fred H. Harris, who was enthralled by skiing as a youth. Harris had a major talent for organization, and was personally responsible for the founding of the Dartmouth and Brattleboro Outing Clubs, both of which introduced thousands to skiing. The Brattleboro Outing Club’s ski jumping tournaments attracted spectators in the thousands to the 1920s and 1930s version of today’s X-Games. Best known for these huge jumping audiences, Brattleboro skiers also initiated an early junior ski program, built a 40-mile cross-country ski trail, and helped build a downhill ski area at Hogback Mountain. With the rise in interest in Nordic skiing, the Putney area near Brattleboro produced scores of competitive cross-country skiers, including Bill Koch, the only American to date to have won an Olympic medal in cross-country and the overall Nordic world cup championship.
The state of Vermont provided substantial assistance to emerging ski areas, always within the context of boosting, not preempting, the role of private enterprise. State forester Perry Merrill was a constant presence from the 1930s through the 1960s, arranging for the Civilian Conservation Corps to cut ski trails during the Depression, and after the war leasing state mountain lands to ski area builders and working with the legislature to appropriate state highway funds for ski area access roads. From the legendary Nose Dive, the 1934 CCC trail cut on Mount Mansfield, to the construction of roads that made possible the development of Killington, Mount Snow, Okemo, Stratton Mountain and others in the 1960s, Perry Merrill was a consistent force in developing skiing in Vermont.
In contrast to the open, low-elevation pastures of Woodstock where lift-served skiing got its start, by the 1960s Vermont ski areas were built on some of the highest mountains, and areas like Glen Ellen, Sugarbush, Mad River Glen, Killington and Mount Mansfield became known for their major vertical drops and expansive trail networks.
As the economic hard times of the early 1950s in rural Vermont gave way to 1960s prosperity, new forms of skiing and new institutions appeared on the scene. Nordic skiing grew phenomenally in the 1970s, and the earliest Nordic touring center was born at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe. The concept of ski racing academies arose at Burke Mountain in 1970, and spread rapidly around the state, then the country. The germination of the largest snowboard manufacturer in the world came about at Stratton Mountain, where Jake Burton Carpenter began building snowboards in Emo Heinrich’s wood shop.
The proliferation of skiing-related endeavors that swept the state of Vermont would be an unimaginable wonder to Fred Harris, who just wanted to get outside in the winter, and a likely source of quiet satisfaction to Perry Merrill, who opened the state forests to skiers.
Current Exhibit at the Intervale Scenic Vista:
Skiing in the Mount Washington Valley
The history of skiing in New Hampshire’s Mount Washington Valley is the subject of a traveling photographic exhibit located in the Intervale Scenic Vista Visitor Center on Routes 16 and 302 several miles north of North Conway village, where there is a sweeping view of Mount Washington over the alluvial plain of the Saco River.
The skiing history of the region is rich, and it can be argued that Jackson and North Conway were the first towns in the US where a ski business arose. Beginning in 1936, professional ski instruction and a pioneering ski tow were available in Jackson, and with the opening of a comprehensive resort at Mount Cranmore in 1938, it became the first mechanized American ski area located in a populated village, a combination that favored further ski industry developments.
The exhibit begins with a grainy image of three female skiers taken at the Eagle Mountain House in Jackson in 1887, and concludes with a photograph dating from the early 1970s of cross-country skiers in the same location. In the intervening years several unique contributions to skiing originated in the Eastern Slope Region, as the area was known in the decades before the 1960s. The first overhead cable ski tow of original design in the country was installed at what is now Black Mountain in the winter of 1936; the first (and with one exception, the only) Skimobile lift came to Cranmore in 1938; the first systematic ski area grooming in the country was performed at Cranmore in the early 1940s; and the first state ski lift safety board was chaired by Phil Robertson, a North Conway man.
Two further unique features of the area’s ski history are the residence of master ski teacher Hannes Schneider beginning in 1939, and the looming presence of Mount Washington’s Tuckerman Ravine, a natural snow collector where skiers can find snow well into the springtime. Schneider, who devised a system of ski technique and instruction in Austria and was considered by many to be the father of modern skiing, relocated to North Conway prior to World War II after being forced out of his native land by political turmoil. It was one of Schneider’s Austrian protégés, Toni Matt, who captured the imagination of the skiing world when he schussed (ran straight) the Headwall of Tuckerman Ravine in 1939. The steep slopes and precipitous gullies of Tuckerman were not all skied until the early 1950s, when Brooks Dodge of Jackson made a concerted effort to descend them all.